As Yorkshire’s very own ‘Land’s End’, and with an array of internationally important wildlife habitats, Spurn’s iconic landscape has been a draw for visitors for generations. A constantly changing feature of Yorkshire’s coastline, and always at the mercy of the elements, no two days at Spurn are ever the same.
Spurn is an internationally important nature reserve with sensitive, diverse and wildlife-rich habitats. Large numbers of people travel to Spurn every year to enjoy its unique landscape, heritage and wildlife.
Spurn is now a ‘tidal island’ with unpredictable tidal areas that can isolate the reserve from the mainland. Its extensive ‘human history’, including its former defence role, has also left a legacy of fascinating but derelict buildings and hidden structures.
At the Spurn Discovery Centre you will find all the information you need to help you make the most of your visit to this wonderful place; ensuring your adventure is inspiring, safe and enjoyable and playing your part in helping us to protect Spurn and its wildlife for the future.
Plan your visit
Public opening times
- Nature reserve: Open at all times*. Please visit the Spurn nature reserve page for latest information on tide times. Inclement weather may mean the reserve has to close on occasion. Again, please check the Spurn nature reserve page before you visit for the latest information.
- Centre: The centre is open from 9am - 5pm (9am - 4pm in December and January)
- Café: The café is open from 9am - 4pm.
- Car park: Open dawn 'til dusk.
- Open seven days a week* Both the centre and the café will be closed on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day only.
- Access to both the Centre and Spurn National Nature Reserve is free.
- Car parking:
- Members of Yorkshire Wildlife Trust: Free - click here to find out more
- Local residents (Easington parish): Free (with a permit) -
Please call 01964 650 144 for more information
- Non-members/Local residents: £5 per car for all day parking.
Please refer to the 'What to enjoy' section below for prices associated with individual activities such as cycle hire, visiting the lighthouse, and the Spurn Safari.
Where to find us
Spurn Discovery Centre, Spurn Road, Kilnsea, Hull HU12 0UH
Telephone 01964 650144 Email firstname.lastname@example.org
How to get to Spurn
- Follow the A1033 from Hull to Patrington. Turn off (right) to the B1445 towards Easington and Kilnsea. Turn right at the T junction in Easington and continue along the minor road to Kilnsea. Turn right at the crossroads towards the Spurn Discovery Centre.
By public transport
There is currently no public transport available by which to reach Spurn.
A dedicated car park is available for up to 77cars, including 4 disabled bays. The car park is located opposite the Centre, approximately a 5 minute walk away from the reserve entrance.
A separate coach parking area is available for up to 2 coaches and needs to be booked ahead of attending the site. This is located opposite the car park, adjacent to the Centre. Contact us direct on 01964 650144 to book coach parks.
There are also 2 car charging units in the main car park which can be paid for at the café.
The car park is locked at dusk, reopening at dawn. No overnight parking is available.
- Café serving hot and cold drinks, breakfast, lunch and light bites*
- Shop for fabulous nature-inspired gifts and all important accessories such as binoculars! Browse online first.
- Fully accessible for wheelchairs and pushchairs with ramp access and automatic/push button doors.
- Toilets (including disabled access) and baby-change
*100% of profits from sales of refreshments and merchandise go back into wildlife conservation
What to enjoy
Discover all that Spurn has to offer
Stop by the Spurn Discovery Centre before you head onto the reserve to learn more about the 'Spurn story' - a rich history of nature, maritime and defence - through a range of wonderful displays and find out more about the different walking trails you can choose to take around the reserve.
Events and activities for all ages
You can also enjoy a wonderful variety of events throughout the year.
Take a look at our events pages and narrow your search using the keyword "Spurn".
We also offer an informative learning programme for local schools and community groups. Please take a look at our school sessions and activities section to find out more.
Please also see below for more information on cycle hire, the Spurn Safari and visiting Spurn Lighthouse.
Go on a 'safari' at Spurn and enjoy a guided, two and a half tour looking out for wildlife and discover more about the fascinating heritage of Yorkshire's very own 'Land's End'.
Climb aboard the all-terrain Unimog for this tour with a difference accompanied by a knowledgeable guide. Included in your trip is visit to the restored Spurn Lighthouse. If you can, make sure you climb to the very top for incredible views!
Adults £14; Children £7
Corporate team days
We also offer the Spurn Safari as a unique team building experience: 3 hours exploring the nature reserve followed by a buffet lunch with cream scones and plenty of cake at the Spurn Discovery Centre.
From £20 per person (exc VAT); minimum of 10 persons – maximum 22.
Please call us on 01964 650144 to find out more.
Enjoy Spurn National Nature Reserve by bike, cycle to nearby Kilnsea Wetland Nature Reserve and explore the local area.
Cycle hire is available from 10am to 4pm on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays* from the Spurn Discovery Centre.
*Other days are available by booking in advance - please call 01964 650144 or email email@example.com.
- Cycle hire is £10 per bike for a full day and £5 per bike for a half day
- Ask a member of the team at the Discovery Centre for details on bike hire, or book in advance. Some identification will be required for bike hire purposes.
Included within our cycle hire is an activity pack, helmet and lock. The activity pack includes magnifying glass, binoculars, identification sheets and inspection tray. In addition to this entry to the lighthouse is also included (subject to opening times).
How to book
To hire the cycles you can either book in advance or hire a cycle on the day. We cannot guarantee that cycles will be available on the day for those who do not book in advance.
Please note: To reach the Spurn Lighthouse and Spurn Point you will need to push bikes over a sandy section at Spurn that we call the wash-over, this takes around 15 minutes.
Measuring some 128ft to the very top, Spurn Lighthouse is one of the highest publically accessible lighthouses in Northern England. Its lifesaving light was last operational over three decades ago. Discover its secrets and climb to the top to enjoy unparalleled panoramic views of Yorkshire’s very own ‘Land’s End’.
£4 adult entry, £3 Senior and £2 children.
Open daily from May to Sept, then Fri/ Sat/ Sun outside of these months. Please note: the lighthouse will be closed for training 17th November 2018.
Please visit the Spurn nature reserve page for more information on opening times and prices.
Hiring Spurn Discovery Centre
What our visitors are saying
Café excellent and well-priced. Certainly ticks all my boxes for a visit to a wildlife centre – plenty of interest for everyone!
Wow! Loved the new eco-friendly visitor centre and café – yummy! So clever – really have thought of everything.
Just a note to thank you for a very interesting day of discovery. You and your team were all exceptionally welcoming, knowledgeable and helpful and it was a pleasure to be there.
Impressed with the facilities. Great design. An asset to the local area...
It really hit me that [Spurn] is such an important place for migratory birds
Make a full day of your adventure and take the opportunity to explore and enjoy other wild places close by.