Askham Bog, our first nature reserve - Credit Kirsten Smith
History of the Yorkshire Wildlife Trust
2011 – Yorkshire Wildlife Trust celebrates its 65th Birthday. £45,106.47 (inc. gift aid) is raised from a community appeal for Staveley Nature Reserve - the most money raised by a local appeal in over a decade.
2010 – The Trust launches its East Yorkshire 'Nature Triangle' project. Membership reaches 30,000.
2009 - Yorkshire Wildlife Trust lobbies Yorkshire MPs at the House of Commons alongside other NGO’s to strengthen the Marine and Coastal Access Bill in order to allow for the UK’s impressive marine wildlife to receive the protection it deserves. Back home the Trust launches its marine awareness and research project throughout Yorkshire.
2008 – Yorkshire Wildlife Trust receives over £8,000 from The People’s Postcode Lottery (PPL) - the lottery for charities in England.
2007 – Over 100,000 people attend the Hull Springwatch extravaganza, whilst newly expanded Potteric Carr welcomes over 25,000 visitors during the year - including 1,500 at its own Springwatch and Autumnwatch events. Volunteering is integrated into all aspects of the Trust with over 800 regular volunteers.
2006 - 1 St George’s Place, York purchased as permanent headquarters.
2005 – Calley Heath becomes our newest nature reserve
2004 – Peat campaign success when Government buys peat-milling rights to Thorne Moors.
1996 – Golden Jubilee. Preston-u-Scar victory in House of Lords. Historic Flamborough hedgerow saved. 'Yorkshire Wildlife Magazine' wins BBC distinction.
1994 – 'Otters and Rivers' Project starts.
1992 – Yorkshire Wildlife Trust twins with Het Utrechts Landscape.
1988 – Corporate membership is launched.
1987 – The 'Living Churchyard' Project begins.
1985 – Move to 10 Toft Green, York. River Derwent threatened by a disturbance from boating. House of Lords rule in favour after an 8-year legal battle.
1978 – First 'Wildlife Watch' groups in Yorkshire.
1973 – First Field Officer, Stephen Warburton appointed.
1972 – Membership tops 4,000 and the Trust moves to 20 Castlegate, York.
1971 – Silver Jubilee. Wheldrake Ings is purchased after appeal. M18 re-routed away from Low Ellers Nature Reserve (later to become Potteric Carr).
1970 – 'The Spider's Web' Trust film premiered.
1969 – First set of Nature Reserve cards produced.
1968 – Area Committees formed. 25 nature reserves. 1st Chairmen’s Meeting.
1967 – New office at Clifford Chambers, York. Lt Col John Newman – full-time staff.
1966 – Membership reaches 1,000.
1965 – First part-time staff member appointed.
1964 – Yorkshire Wildlife Trust becomes a charitable Trust. Life membership is raised to £20.
1959 – Spurn Point National Nature Reserve purchased for £1,500.
1957 – Membership rises to 353.
1955 – Moorlands Nature Reserve is purchased for £500 after a county appeal. Moorlands is the Trust’s second reserve.
1946 – Yorkshire Naturalists’ Trust register as a limited company with 11 subscribers.
1946 - Sir Francis Terry and Arnold Rowntree buy Askham Bog to save it from development. Wilfred Taylor, Wentworth Ping and Clifford Smith create the Yorkshire Naturalists’ Trust to look after and manage this, our first, nature reserve.