Dig In Softpots
Dig In aims to create a network of community-led edible food growing places in partnership with City of York Council.
This exciting 3 year project started in November 2011. Through Dig In, Yorkshire Wildlife Trust is providing positive outdoor activities for children, young people and families, which are free and accessible to all.
The project is promoting:
- More active and healthy living
- an improvement to participant's knowledge of food growing and caring for the local environment
- an increase in participant's inter-personal skills and self-esteem
- a greater feeling of community pride and belonging in participants
The project activities include:
- Design of community-led food-growing spaces through consultation workshops
- Creation of community-led food-growing spaces through community work days, including building clay ovens
- Delivery of gardening clubs for different groups, for example, families with young children, young people attending alternative learning programmes
- Delivery of environmental clubs for different groups, for example, people with behavioural needs or disabilities
- Provision of free resources on subjects such as healthy eating, becoming more active and sustainable living, which will be available in hard copies and electronically
- Delivery of training opportunities
- Recruitment and training of volunteers.
Where we are working:
For more information on this project please contact any of the Dig In team by calling 01904 659570.
This project is funded by the Big Lottery Fund, for more information visit www.biglotteryfund.org.uk